29/12/2013

It's been a long time, getting from there to here

I was looking back at some old posts over at TFGS today and seeing how much progress I actually made before everything went so badly. I want to get thing going again so that I can at least get it to a point where people can complete the game even if there are still many loose ends left to tie up. Every time I try to work on it though I just feel that I'm throwing my free time away, I have a list of TV shows I want to catch up on, a bunch of games that I bought but haven't played yet and I can't remember the last time I read a book. I know I'm just repeating stuff I've already posted before but I hate going weeks without posting something.
I had forgotten about the mini-game I made for Halloween, something else I found in old posts. I've been checking it over to see how far I got with it (I never made any of the usual checklists to tell me what still needs doing so I had to run through the game several times). It is still missing a small number of pictures that I remember struggling to find, I also wanted to populate the game with some more furniture, that won't take long though. There are lots of bugs in the latter parts of the game and some tidying up to be done throughout, if I could find the pictures I could get it done in a day probably. The problem is that I never feel like working on it, the next time I get the urge to be creative I will try my best to finish it but I'm not giving a deadline for this one, I would only end up missing it again.
If anyone would like to help there is one image I was finding particularly difficult to locate; an apartment atrium, it has to either be at night or only feature artificial lighting, it would ideally have one door straight ahead and a room to the right which is the warden's room although depending on the angle of the image that shouldn't be necessary. I want it to be wider than a standard corridor image as it is an entrance hall of sorts but I don't want a reception desk as a hotel would have. I've actually lived in a number of places that would fit the bill nicely but I have no way of getting to them and I haven't been able to locate anywhere locally that would be suitable. I can always move things around a bit but I have yet to find pics online of anything even close to what I want. Any help would be greatly appreciated and can either be submitted anonymously or you can be credited in the game (you would also receive a mention in the "Appreciative Enchanter" book in the library in the main game.
I will get back to Redus, it's just a matter of time. Thanks for your patience.

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you feel better, and decided to go back to writing games. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite, but the desire to start up again is finally coming back. I have started writing again, just not anything that I will ever post here, ideas for TV shows or novels, that sort of thing. I hope it is a good sign and that one day soon that urge to open up RAGS again kicks in but not quite yet.

      Delete
  2. Have you looked on iStockPhoto for an appropirate room Picture? A benevolent soul might be able to find an unbranded photo if you found a Picture you liked. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I regularly check a number of sites for all sorts of pics I can use for locations and objects, I currently have about 30GB of location pics (30.03 to be more precise) but none fitting this description. If anyone else could help I would be very grateful but I've just about exhausted all of my skills on finding this one. I may end up just making one myself but I prefer photos if I can get them.

      Delete
  3. Actually, now that I think about it I may just use a more abstract picture or move things around and scrap the room entirely. Now that I'm picking up Redus again I'll leave this project alone for a while either way. It isn't important or particularly interesting, I just thought it would be nice to release something to apologise for the long wait but since this ended up being delayed by several months anyway it doesn't matter now. I might keep hold of it until Redus Ep01 is done and then I can post it as I'm working on Ep02.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I come across something I'll let you know too. Do you have an example of approximately what you look for?

      Delete
    2. To be honest I've struggled to find anything close to what I was imagining so I'm pretty open at this point. I can however show you some of the other pics I'm using; this one is the standard corridor that the upper floors use and so would give a good indication as to the look I'm going for: http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad90/timandhisburntfingers/Corridor_zps5aa2f8e8.jpg It's a little dark, that is intentional for story purposes and also gives more flexibility in terms of the appearance of connecting rooms but you may have to adjust the image brightness if you want a better look. As I said, the lobby doesn't have to look much like it at all but it gives you an idea of the sort of building I'm looking for. I also have the pic of the apartment that will be connected to the lobby: http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad90/timandhisburntfingers/Room1_zps5b6e154f.jpg It's pretty generic and basic so there is unlikely to be any conflict there. As long as there is little/no natural light (or if there is that it be easily edited out), Could pass for a ground floor lobby or small corridor and looks fairly cheap and basic, I would be interested. The building is a fairly low-rent apartment building in a city so nothing fancy and nothing too open. Thanks for the interest, even if you don't find anything I appreciate the help. And that goes for anyone else who thinks they may have or can find something. I don't like to turn away help if it is offered.

      Delete
    3. Something in this direction?
      http://medialibrarycdn.propertysolutions.com/media_library/2422/518ce17061c34203.jpg

      http://www.acuityapartments.com/images/listing_photos/123_1286308300.jpg

      http://www.wondercreationstudios.com/Images/Blender/bathroom2_night.png

      http://www.beinteriordecorator.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/t-residence-living-room-at-night.jpg

      http://www.3dhousedownload.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Night-rendering-of-decoration-living-and-dining-room.jpg

      http://www.3dhousedownload.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Dark-living-room-lighting.jpg

      http://www.cgarchitect.com/content/portfolioitems/2013/02/71788/living_view_night_large.jpg

      http://www.download3dhouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Dark-brown-classic-bedroom-design-rendering-night.jpg

      Something like those above? Some of these can be darkened or flipped even. English isn't my native language so I am not entirely sure what "atrium" refers to.

      Delete
    4. Lobby would I guess be a better word than atrium, an atrium is a large open room at the entrance of a building. I need it to be smaller than what you generally class as an atrium though, probably large enough to fit a few sofas in so that visitors can wait. There are about 20 apartments in the building so it would also likely serve as a mailroom although again I don't much care about that as long as it looks like it fits.
      I may be able to use one or two of those pics in future projects but none really suit the look I'm going for, they are all far too nice! I have pretty much all of the actual apartments done anyway, it's just this one entrance hallway that eludes me. Thanks for taking the time to search though, I'm sure I can make use of at least one of them at some point. I appreciate your efforts.

      Delete

How am I driving?